NEMO Science Museum
NEMO Science Museum primarily caters to children aged 6–16, but adults also enjoy the hands-on fun. Visit to do experiments, play interactive games, and see entertaining demonstrations, which let you explore space, journey through the human body, experiment with electricity, blow giant soap bubbles, and more.
Several tourist passes, such as the I amsterdam City Card, include free or discounted admission to the museum. While visiting, make sure to head up to the rooftop terrace for some of the best views in the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
Purchase tickets online before visiting to save time.
This fun, interactive museum will keep children entertained for hours.
The museum boasts a restaurant, a coffee bar, and a café, as well as places to enjoy packed lunches.
The museum’s halls and exhibits (except for the Energetica exhibition on the rooftop) are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
NEMO is located just east of Amsterdam Central Station, along the body of water called the Oosterdok. NEMO is easy to reach from Central Station by foot or by bike; just follow the signs for Route Oosterdok. Alternatively, you can take the 22 bus to the Kadijksplein stop, which is about a 5-minute walk from the museum. Hop-on hop-off buses and sightseeing boats also stop near NEMO.
When to Get There
NEMO is open daily from mid-morning until early evening every day except for major Dutch holidays and occasional Mondays outside of the peak summer season. NEMO is popular among both locals and visitors, so school holidays, weekends, and rainy days are the busiest times at the museum.
The NEMO Rooftop Square
The roof of the NEMO building is free and accessible to everyone—even if you’re not visiting the museum. The “public square” houses an open-air exhibition, Energetica, that features interactive sculptures dedicated to the sun, water, and wind. There is also a restaurant where you can relax with a coffee or a sandwich while enjoying panoramic views of Amsterdam.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- Amsterdam Red Light District (De Wallen)
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- National Holocaust Museum
- St. Nicholas Basilica (Sint Nicolaasbasiliek)
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
- Amsterdam Central Station
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)