Calico Hills proximity to Las Vegas makes it a popular day trip for tourists and locals alike. You can join a guided sightseeing tour that includes Calico Hills along with the Red Rock Canyon scenic loop drive and exploring the park’s petrified sand dunes. If you are ready to fully immerse yourself in the desert landscape, visit on a hiking or electric bike tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Nature lovers who find themselves in Las Vegas will treasure this desert escape.
- The moderate hiking trails are less crowded than those in the nearby Red Rock Canyon.
- Prepare for the desert heat with extra water and a sunhat.
- Skip the entrance lines and fees by accessing the Calico Hills trails from outside Red Rock Canyon.
How to Get There
Calico Hills is a half-hour drive from downtown Las Vegas and can be accessed from outside of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Turn off of State Route 159 onto Calico Basin Road two miles before reaching the Red Rock Canyon turn off. You can also access Calico Hills from inside the conservation area.
When to Get There
Calico Hills can be extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter so spring and fall are the best seasons to hike and rock climb in the area. If you visit in the summer arrive early to find a parking spot and avoid the midday heat.
Hiking at Calico Hills You can access the numerous Calico Hills hiking trails from inside Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area or from the Calico Basin Trailhead just outside the park. Either spot provides access to trails that include everything from well-trodden paths to challenging rock scrambles. You can choose your own adventure with trails ranging from 2 to 6 miles (3 to 10 kilometers) long.
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in California