Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
Butchers' Bridge is an integral part of many city walking tours, as it is centrally located to many city attractions. Classic city tours pass through the city’s famous medieval streets to visit such memorable landmarks as Prešeren Square, the National Library, and Three Bridges over the Ljubljanica river. Other tours highlight the city’s vibrant subcultures, visiting colorful alternative art spaces—enlivened by stories about political art and radical ideas from history and present times.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Butchers' Bridge is an ideal spot to enjoy city life and the beauty of the river.
- Visit the Central Market to sample foods from small kiosks, and shop for fresh fruits and vegetables at the adjacent farmer’s market.
- Locals may refer to the bridge as the Lover’s Bridge.
How to Get There
Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most) is located in the old town of Ljubljana. There is no admission and can be accessed at any time. Bus lines 13 and 20 will take you closest to the bridge, stopping at Zmajski on the north side of the Ljubljanica River.
When to Get There
Butchers' Bridge is especially lively when the weather is warm. Every Friday, from mid-March through October, a unique food market where local chefs prepare dishes in an open kitchen setting on Pogačar Square, just south of the ridge. To avoid the crowds that come in the summer high season, visit Ljubljana in the late spring or early fall when the weather is pleasant, and you can find deals on hotels.
Butchers and Shoemakers The first incarnation of the Butchers' Bridge was actually where the Shoemakers’ Bridge is, about three bridges down river. Built in the 13th century, butchers had their stalls on that bridge. After receiving incessant complaints of the stench about the bridge, the city moved the butchers to this bridge, which has been redesigned several times, with this latest and current incarnation.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljanica River
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Dragon Bridge
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Museum of Illusions
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)