Rod Laver Arena
Named after Aussie tennis player Rod Laver, the arena sits in Melbourne Park on the north shore of the Yarra River, not far from the Central Business District (CBD). You can see the arena by booking tickets for a tennis match or a concert or taking a behind-the-scenes tour. Some city sightseeing tours also pass by the stadium.
Things to Know Before You Go
Behind the scenes tours are only offered a few days a week; check the schedule and book ahead.
You’ll have to go through a security screening to enter the park; be prepared to have your bags searched. There is a cloakroom that will store prohibited items like backpacks, large bags, laptops, and tablets.
There is bike parking outside the arena.
The arena is wheelchair accessible; contact the venue for wheelchair seating.
Visitors who do not bring a bag can enter through the (faster-moving) bag-free entrance lanes.
How to Get There
The arena is located on Olympic Boulevard, inside the Melbourne Park complex. The easiest way to reach the area via public transportation is to take the tram to the Rod Laver Arena/Melbourne Park stop. There is also a bike-share station near the arena. Parking is limited.
When to Get There
The Australian Open is the first Grand Slam tennis tournament of the season and takes place in January. During the rest of the year, the arena’s schedule includes other tennis matches, concerts, kids’ events, WWE Live, and movie events.
In 2019, Rod Laver Arena reopened after a period of renovation. Update facilities include a new main public entrance, known as the Grand Entrance, that has three levels and is home to numerous places to eat or get a drink, including the Upper Deck rooftop bar. The arena also has larger concourse spaces that make moving through the building easier and more accessible entrances.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne