Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
While the shoulder-season months of September through November still bring plenty of sunshine, visiting Melbourne in spring means that you’ll have far fewer crowds to contend with. Take advantage of warm days with outdoor activities, but prepare for rain showers by planning indoor activities, too. Here are our top tips for spring fun in Australia’s second city.
- See the springtime blooms during a walking tour of the Royal Botanic Garden.
- Spend a sunny day cruising along the Great Ocean Road, and enjoy one of Australia’s most popular—and most scenic—routes with fewer crowds.
- Feast on the bounty of spring during a wine-and-chocolate-tasting tour of the Yarra Valley.
- Prepare for any weather by booking a ride on the historic Puffing Billy steam train, which takes you through deciduous woods and bushlands.
- Take cover on a rainy afternoon at Melbourne Zoo and Melbourne Aquarium, and book skip-the-line admission tickets in advance to beat the lines.
- Take advantage of cooler springtime temperatures on a walking tour, which cover everything from history to street art.
- Watch the enchanting Penguin Parade during a half-day trip to Phillip Island. An earlier sunset means you’ll see the phenomenon and be back in Melbourne in time for dinner.
- Soar over Melbourne’s cityscape and coastline during a scenic helicopter tour.