On a trip to the Gulf of Naples, you won’t want to miss the island of Capri. Reachable only by boat, if offers hidden caves, charming villages, and stunning ocean views. Here's what to know if you’re planning on a day trip to Capri from Sorrento.
Tasso Theater (Teatro Tasso)
Originally built to serve as a convent for the Theatines religious order, the historic building was later converted into a cinema in the 1920s and now serves as a performance space. As well as local folklore shows, the Tasso Theater also plays host to various other music performances from light opera to jazz.
Piazza Sant’Antonio, Sorrento, Campania
The Tasso Theater is the performance venue for the Sorrento Amarcord show, which focuses on the traditional folk music, dance, and tales of the Neapolitan region. Book tickets in advance to secure a seat. Local songs and traditional dances, such as the tarantella, are performed by actors and dancers in colorful costumes, with some parts of the performance inviting audience participation.
Things to know before you go
- Tasso Theater is a must for visitors who want to gain a deeper understanding of local culture.
- The Sorrento Amarcord show is performed in Italian but the visual nature of the performance makes it relatively easy for audience members to follow the story.
- Shuttle services can be arranged with the venue for a fee.
How to get there
Tasso Theater is situated in the historic center of Sorrento on Piazza Sant’Antonino. From Naples, follow the A3 motorway toward Salerno, taking the Castellammare di Stabia exit. From Sorrento port, ride the Cooperative Tasso bus to Piazza Sant’Antonino. From Sorrento train station, make the 5-minute walk via Corso Italia.
When to get there
The Sorrento Amarcord shows take place every Wednesday and Saturday night between May and October. Other events, such as jazz performances, take place at the theater as part of the M’illumino D’inverno winter festival.
Native to southern Italy, the tarantella is a frantic folk dance known for its racing tempo, with the beat often speeding up as the song goes on. A courtship dance, the tarantella is typically performed by a couple and features accompanying music by instruments such as mandolin, guitar, or accordion.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Tasso Theater (Teatro Tasso) ?
Attractions near Tasso Theater (Teatro Tasso) :
What else should I know about attractions in Sorrento?
- Cloister of San Francesco (Chiostro di San Francesco)
- Sorrento St. Anthony Basilica (Basilica di Sant’Antonino)
- Piazza Tasso
- Sorrento Foundation (Fondazione Sorrento)
- Correale di Terranova Museum (Museo Correale di Terranova)
- Via Capo
- Punta del Capo
- Baths of the Queen Giovanna (Bagni della Regina Giovanna)
- Mt. Faito (Monte Faito)
- Spaggia Grande Beach
- Marina Grande
- Emerald Grotto (Grotta dello Smeraldo)
- Coral Museum (Museo del Corallo)