This museum holds the private car collection of the Louwmans, a Dutch family with strong ties to the automobile industry. View more than 230 vehicles—including rare antiques and groundbreaking designs—such as an 1886 three-wheeler widely regarded as the first modern automobile; and a 2004 Toyota Prius, the first mass-produced hybrid car.
Tickets to the Louwman Museum can be purchased in advance or at the door. Visits are designed to be self-guided, with signage offering detailed information about the vehicles on display. For a more in-depth exploration, download the free app and audio tour to your smartphone. Guided tours can be arranged with advanced notice; tours—which last from 1.5–2 hours—can accommodate up to 15 people and an extra fee is charged.
Things to know before you go
- The Louwman Museum is wheelchair-accessible.
- There is a restaurant situated on the ground floor and free Wi-Fi at the site.
- Note that cars are sometimes taken out of display for servicing or for rallies, so if you are keen to see a specific model, enquire in advance of your visit to ensure it will be on show.
How to get there
The Louwman Museum is about a 50-minute walk or a 10-minute drive from the city center. The best way to get there is by public transit; catch local buses (#90 or #385) from The Hague Central Station (Den Haag Centraal).
When to get there
The museum is open year-round—usually from the morning until late afternoon, although holiday hours may vary. Be sure to check the museum’s website for up-to-date opening hours before visiting.
The Louwman Museum’s collection doesn’t just include noteworthy car models—it also features cars associated with famous faces. Look for the Humber Pullman—the private limousine of Winston Churchill—which was outfitted with an extra-large ashtray to accommodate the leader’s cigar ash. The museum also holds the DeSoto taxi that featured in Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather.
- Peace Palace (Vredespaleis)
- Escher in Het Paleis (Escher in the Palace)
- Square 1813 (Plein 1813)
- The Hague City Hall (Stadhuis)
- Inner Court & Hall of Knights (Binnenhof & Ridderzaal)
- Prison Gate Museum (Gevangenpoort)
- Panorama Mesdag
- Noordeinde Palace (Paleis Noordeinde)
- Kunstmuseum Den Haag
- The Hague Museum of Photography (Fotomuseum Den Haag)
- SEA LIFE® Scheveningen