Explore the Zrmanja River with a guided rafting or kayaking tour. No previous whitewater experience is necessary and you can choose between gentle float trips and exhilarating whitewater adventures. Alternatively, you can hike to the Veliki Buk, an impressive waterfall that plunges over two successive limestone cliffs, from the trailhead in Muskovci or catch a glimpse of the Zrmanja from the peaks in nearby Velebit Nature Park.
Recent reviews from experiences in Zadar
Things to know before you go
- A must-see for nature lovers and watersports enthusiasts.
- If rafting the river, don’t forget sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and water shoes.
- In case of colder weather, bring along a long-sleeved shirt and rain gear.
- Most tours include round-trip transportation from Zadar.
- Zrmanja River kayaking tours are not wheelchair-accessible.
How to get there
Tours of the Zrmanja River often include round-trip transportation from the village of Kaštel Žegarski or Zadar. Kastel Zegarski is 43 miles (69 kilometers) east of Zadar and is most easily accessed by car. A daily bus runs from Zadar to Kastel Zegarski; for the most efficient transportation, book a tour that includes round-trip transportation from Zadar.
When to get there
Zrmanja River kayak and rafting tours are offered from mid-May through mid-October, but are weather dependent. Summer is the busiest time in Croatia’s Dalmatian region, so consider visiting late spring or early fall to avoid the crowds and save on accommodations. You can take in views of the Zrmanja River from the Velebit Nature Park any time of year.
Velebit Nature Park
The Velebit Nature Park is the largest protected natural area in Croatia. The Velebit Mountains are characterized by unique rocky landscapes, caves, deep underground lakes, and submarine springs. The area is popular with rock climbers, mountains bikers, and hikers and several hiking and cycling tours are offered at the park.
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Things to do in Šibenik
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Pula
- Things to do in Hvar
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Makarska
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Istria