3 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Tackle the grade II and III rapids of the Barron River on this adrenaline-pumping half-day tour from Cairns or Port Douglas. Prepare to get wet and wild as you hurtle over the rapids, then float downstream past the jagged cliffs, plunging ravines and lush rainforest of the Barron Gorge National Park. Best of all: with gentle rapids and full instruction provided, this tour is suitable for all levels, including complete beginners.
- White water rafting tour from Cairns or Port Douglas
- Navigate the Grade II and III rapids of the Barron River
- Full instruction provided: suitable for complete beginners
- Great-value tour includes hotel pickup and round-trip coach transport
Saved to wishlist!
Hotel pickup and drop-off from Cairns or Port Douglas with transport by air-conditioned coach
National park fees
AU$30 river levy (payable direct)
Optional extras such as shoe rental ($5)
Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
Snacks (available to purchase)
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
We pick up from all hotels and accommodations in Cairns, Northern Beaches and Port Douglas.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Children between 12 and 17 years require a parent or guardian to sign a waiver form
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 70 travelers
- OPERATED BY Foaming Fury
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
Filter by:Accessibility Guides & Languages Health & Safety Itinerary details Meeting & Pickup Other Pricing/Options
What time is pickup and drop off for the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:For guests staying in the Cairns area, approximate pickup is 2 pm with drop off around 5:30 pm. For guests staying in Port Douglas, approximate pickup is 1:15 pm with drop off around 6:30 pm.
Can I bring my young child with me on the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:For safety reasons, the minimum age to participate is 12 years old. Guests under 18 years old require a parent/guardian to sign their waiver form in order to participate.
Can I sign the waiver for the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour prior to arrival?
A:Yes - you will receive a link to the electronic waiver form on your ticket upon confirmation.
How long do we spend on the river during the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:The group will spend approximately 2 hours white water rafting.
Can I participate in the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour if I have medical conditions?
A:Some medical conditions, disabilities, and impairments may exclude participants from rafting for safety reasons. Guests should disclose any medical condition, disabilities, and impairments at the time of booking.
How do you keep guests safe during the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:All customers are fitted with hand-checked, top-of-the-line safety equipment. Safety handouts are provided in various languages. Detailed safety talks are conducted prior to any rafting and guides monitor passenger safety during every rapid.
What kind of training do the guides have on the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:Guides receive regular ongoing first aid and river training to maintain existing high standards. All guides carry safety equipment to deal with any situation. Guides also have detailed knowledge of their local area and surroundings.
What should I bring with me on the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:Bring your ticket, a large towel, a change of clothes, water-resistant sunscreen, and cash/credit card for the $30 river levy and any additional souvenirs and snacks. Please leave all jewelry and valuables at home or at your accommodation.
What should I wear on the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:Wear your swimsuit under your clothes and secure footwear (lace-up shoes or reef sandals that will get wet.) If you do not have appropriate shoes (or don't want your shoes to get wet) you can rent shoes for $5 upon arrival.
What kind of rapids will we encounter during the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour?
A:On this tour you will enjoy approximately 2 hours rafting on rapids up to grade 3. Your experienced guide will be with you the whole time to make sure you have a safe, fun time!
What are grade 1 rapids?
A:Grade 1 rapids are defined as: Rapids are small to regular waves. The passage is clear and easy to recognize and negotiate. Care may be needed with obstacles like fallen trees and bridge piers.
What are grade 2 rapids?
A:Grade 2 rapids are defined as rapids with medium-sized waves (less than 1 m); low ledges or drops; easy eddies and gradual bends. The passage is easy to recognize and generally unobstructed though there may be rocks, overhanging branches or log jams.
What are grade 3 rapids?
A:Grade 3 rapids are defined as rapids with fairly high waves (1-2 m); broken water, stoppers, and strong eddies; exposed rocks; small falls. The passage may be difficult to recognize from on the river. Maneuvering to negotiate the rapids is required.
Can I participate in the Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting tour if I have no prior experience?
A:Absolutely! The Barron River Half Day Tour is a fantastic introduction to White Water Rafting. It’s fun, exciting, and exhilarating, suitable for beginners or experienced rafters alike! No experience is necessary.
What is the policy on sanitization during Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting from Cairns or Port Douglas?
A:The policy on sanitization is:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- "Rapids are pretty mild, so not a thrill seeking option but would be perfect for families or for a first try at rafting." See review
- "We had a fantastic rafting leader and would highly recommend this excursion for anyone visiting cairns!" See review
- "The Rafting itself is a lot of fun, not too extreme or tiring but a great experience." See review
Compare Similar Experiences
Barron Gorge National Park Half-Day White Water Rafting from Cairns or Port Douglas
3 hours 30 minutes
4 hours 30 minutes
8 hours 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
ExtremeRaftingWhite Water Rafting Water SportsOutdoor ActivitiesCairns & the Tropical NorthExtreme - QueenslandRafting - QueenslandWhite Water Rafting - QueenslandExtreme - AeroglenRafting - AeroglenWhite Water Rafting - AeroglenExtreme - Port DouglasRafting - Port DouglasWhite Water Rafting - Port DouglasCategory
Michaelmas Cay Tours & TicketsMuddy's Playground Tours & TicketsFitzroy Island Tours & TicketsGranite Gorge Nature Park Tours & TicketsRusty's Markets Tours & TicketsRed Arrow Walk Tours & TicketsMamu Tropical Skywalk Tours & TicketsCairns Botanic Gardens Tours & TicketsCentenary Lakes Tours & TicketsAustralian Butterfly Sanctuary Tours & TicketsWet Tropics World Heritage Area Tours & TicketsCairns Zoom & Wildlife Dome Tours & TicketsKuranda Koala Gardens Tours & TicketsEsplanade Boardwalk Tours & TicketsCairns Esplanade Lagoon Tours & TicketsBirdworld Kuranda Tours & TicketsCairns Night Markets & Food Court Tours & TicketsMt. Whitfield Tours & TicketsRainForeStation Nature Park Tours & TicketsBarron Gorge National Park Tours & Tickets